Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Electric Current

I felt very lazy tonight because it's winter Down Under and days are short. It is officially cold (declared by meteorologists and most Ausies), but I don't conform with this belief. I think that if the mercury doesn't drop under the freezing point at least during the night, it's not winter, it's just the cold season. Right now the temperature drops to 6-10 Celsius at night and shivers (?!?) between 13 and 16 Celsius during the day. Native trees haven't lost a leaf, and moreover, some of them are in bloom, liked the Proteas. But I should not get caught into speaking just about this snow-less, bloom-full winter, since my goal was to speak of electricity. Yes, electric current is available at 220 Volts and to protect people from electrocuting themselves, all plugs have a tiny switch, the size of a lady bug, which has to be turned on only after one plugged the electric device. You may wonder why I wanted to write about this very simple device, but I think it is extremely smart. I confess to getting a 220-Volt shock when I was little in Romania and it felt quite threatening. It was a serious jolt, probably a tad milder than what a croc (the size of the one in the picture) could do to your arm. It is silly, but every time I plug something here in Oz, I smile as I flick the safety switch...

No comments:

Post a Comment