Saturday, May 5, 2012

Why sunnyrain?

Years ago, when our daughter Chloe started to talk and ask questions, I thought about my own childhood and its vast territories. I could pinpoint so many differences between our childhoods, I had to write a book with stories from my childhood for Chloe. The material was in my head, fueled by vivid memories from my native small town in the South East of Romania in the nineteen seventies, under a dictatorship. I grew up with my parents, my sister and my maternal grandparents in the house. My grandmother, Maia, often sat down with me to answer an infinity of questions about how she and my mother grew up, where, what games she played with her friends, who were her friends and my mother’s first friends, how was school in their times, did she ever get in trouble and why, when did she learn to sew, when did she teach my mother to sew, how were her grandparents… I cherished those moments and I recall the stories, often together with Maia’s trembling voice and her soft image looking out the window as if she re-lived the events she was sharing with me. But Chloe was born a world apart from mine, in one of the biggest cities in the world, in a democracy, right after 9/11. With a Romanian mother and an Italian father, she would have to learn two foreign languages before getting to ask her grandparents all those questions Maia answered to me. Chloe’s chances of spending more than a week of vacation with each set of grandparents every year or two were simply thin. So I decided to write my memoir in Chloe’s language, and now mine, about my childhood and the few years she may not remember well from her own childhood. It will be a basket of answers to the questions she never got to ask her grandparents and me about, but I am sure she’d enjoy knowing. The book will be a collage of events and memories pieced together in a bridge between Rodica and Chloe connecting over languages, political systems, continents, and time. I thought “Sunny Rain” would be the appropriate title for this book, as most sunny days often turn grey with heavy rain or become more brilliant with a light summer rain and a rainbow. Just like life throughout childhood and adulthood. My blog is here to help me share my experiences and also to help me write my book, but I will talk about this tomorrow. In the picture there is a passion fruit flower for you!

3 comments:

  1. I remember those days of numerous questions and longer, fascinating answers from Maia that revealed to us a bit of the world of the 1920s and subsequent years ... Sunny rain over a century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasure to see your blog, Rodica! I'm loving the Sunny Rain, for me it has a Proustian quality, bringing back the joy and silliness of childhood, of being 10 years old and getting out barefoot and dancing in a warm sunny rain in a bucolic village in Romania. Thank you for triggering those memories!

    I'll be looking forward to reading you, and I hope you'll weave those memories from two other continents into your account of life Down Under. I was also very touched by your having written a book of stories for your daughter. Have you ever thought of publishing - here or somewhere else - some of those stories? As a mother facing similar issues, I would be delighted to read you!

    Keep going, keep writing, much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anca, thank you for your comment and thoughts! I am working on my memoir while taking online Memoir Writing classes with Gotham Writers Workshop (New York). I highly recommend them! Chloe loves to read the stories, but I would also like to publish them. Thank you for reading my blog!

      Delete