Friday, July 27, 2012

Organ Pipes National Park

I am a bit ashamed that only recently I found out what tesselations were. Should I still claim being a scientist? Well, honestly, it's something I just didn't know about and in order to understand what they are in a practical, hands on way, I decided to learn from nature. The Organ Pipes National Park is nearby, West of Melbourne, and it contains rock formations from the time when a volcano spat out lava, about one million years ago. This lava turned into basalt, which is shaped like organ pipes (check out today's picture) because air bubbles passed through it while it cooled off, or is shaped in geometrical forms, or tesselations, where you can see (and step on) the top of the "organ pipes" in transversal sectioning. Thus, I learnt that tesselation is the repetition of a geometrical shape without gaps and overlaps, and every time I will hear this word from now on, I will picture walking on a cross-section of organ pipes in a unique park around Melbourne... Again and again, Australia amazes me with the archaism that characterizes fauna, flora and land. Such "organ pipe" basaltic formations are even in Europe, but seeing them here with a few sweaty kangaroos jumping elegantly in the background and reflected perfectly under the ozone-less, solid-blue sky, is out of this world. For me, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment