Thursday, October 25, 2012

Out of Stock – The Revenge

Would you believe I have to continue on this subject? Led into thinking that my car’s tires were of uncommon design or dimensions, I celebrated (too soon!) when the second place I called told me that they got two tires and could replace my “not road worthy” worn-out tires the same day. Too busy at work, I didn’t ask for a quote, and too scared that nobody else has the tires available in stock, I drove to the “shark” nest! They made me pay $118 for each tire, which are so small and thin, you could not tell if they are for a Suzuki Alto or a bike. The pressure of limited stock made me accept to pay this ridiculous price, but I learnt a lesson. More than in the States, you have to shop around in Oz. And you cannot wait until the last minute to buy anything. Literally. I called them sharks because not only they ripped me off with the price, but they tried to talk me into buying two more tires. I let the guy play his part, explain why it’s better to change all four in the same time, etc. Then I informed him that at $118 a tire, I will not even think about it. It may not be any different in the States, thus the “sticker shock,” but where the Aussie frills come in is the shop closing at 5 during the week and taking the last appointment at 4, and with way to many free workers sitting on tires at 4 and I drive in to have my car fixed. They look like the guys who close the shop at 5:01PM and for whom the liquor shop is actually open every day until 9PM… Or anyway, that is what comes to my mind when they overcharge me and make me leave my work early to have my car fixed…

No comments:

Post a Comment