Friday, April 7, 2017

Adios, Mexico City!

The Museo Soumaya

I'm pretty sure this is the school holiday for some Mexican schools. Another big crowd of school children lined up all the way upstairs ahead of me to enter the museum.  Needless to say they were loud and energetic.  I managed to bypass them inside at most times but because the museum is an open structure like the Guggenheim, I could never not hear them.  

The museum is extremely rich in art from all ages -  from El Greco to Diego Rivera, there are very few artists NOT represented here.  The top floor feels like a Rodin garden open to the sky through an oculus. 


Not all works are from the creative peak of the artists, in fact early works of Van Gogh support my theory.  

Nevertheless, the museum, which is shaped like a woman's torso on the outside, is a pleasure to visit.  Can't eat there though, because the cafe is open only for employees...

The museum has the name of the wife of Carlos Slim, the Mexican billlionaire and owner of the museum..



All Uber drivers wear shirts and have the cleanest cars! But none will close the windows and turn on the AC even in the most polluted area, side by side with the most polluting buses or trucks.  

Pollution is BAD in Mexico City.  Every morning my nose was stuffy and when I blew it, I got a bloody nose.  That could have been also the altitude, but the dirty air chocked me also on the street and I've seen many wearing face masks... 

Adios, Mexico City, for now... 

there is so much more left to see in this city and this country!



No comments:

Post a Comment