Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Enchanted Maze Gardens

A play date, a trip to the Mornington Peninsula, and a play date... Some week-ends start by being quite straightforward and planned flatly for the purpose of entertaining the kids. So we headed to the Enchanted Maze Garden in Mornington Peninsula, just South East of Melbourne. The kids were old enough to get lost in the mazes, which were one more creative than the other. Meanwhile, a walk through the beautifully groomed gardens took me to a wilder corner, a forest of eucalyptus, and brought me face-to-face with these striking sculptures (see picture). They were laid on tree stubs, as if the faces worked from the heart of the tree to come out and salute us. I sat among them and thought that if I were to spend a night among them, I’d be sure to hear them whisper Aboriginal dreamtime stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment