Monday, August 20, 2012

Port Philip Bay Boatsheds

Melbourne sits royally above the Port Philip Bay, or The Bay, as locals call it. It is a huge pool of water, quite shallow, with beautiful beaches, reefs with dragon sea horses, and visiting dolphins. On several beaches, there are iconic boatsheds and bathing boxes. I will write tomorrow about the Brighton bathing boxes, which you’ve probably already seen in classic pictures. Today I will tell you about the less famous, still beautiful, boatsheds. I took a picture of this one between Safety Beach and Dromana. I liked it because it is lively, how a boatshed on a beautiful beach should be, and it reminds me of the sunnyrain theme of my blog. It’s the yin-yang of Sun-Moon, as both make that clear bay water shine and mesmerize. The shed also seems a bit hippie, although I don’t know if it’s ever been used that way. Without electricity or water, the sheds just store boats, jetskis, chairs and beds, and all other beach stuff. Their cultural and historical value is obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment