Saturday, September 1, 2012

Muscovy Duck

For those of you who know a few things about ducks, this post is boring. For others, like me, who see color in every duck and innocently call mallards and teals and all related subspecies, ducks, this post is about a strange kind of duck that was the least expected to see down under. This is the Muscovy duck (I didn't know until I came home with its picture and I searched the internet to find out the name), muscular and decorated with lots of red growths above the beak. The interesting fact is that this duck is a native of Mexico but has now happily and healthily expanded its habitat to all continents, except Antarctica. I saw this duck in a park full of Australian ducks, kangaroos and rosellas. All natives, except this "foreigner" who just like me was wandering around feeling like home when not quite at home...

No comments:

Post a Comment