Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Silky Oak Tree

I haven’t neglected my blog, but I simply ran out of interesting things to share about Oz. Today I found one, the silky oak tree, and thus my return to posting for you. Soon I’ll be going to Perth and that should give me lots of material for the blog. The silky-oak tree (Grevillea robusta) is the largest plant of the grevillea genus. I love its dark yellow, almost rusty orange hermaphrodite flowers that embellish the tree in late spring-summer. They look like large brushes with curly hairs, are loaded with nectar, and buzz with busy bees. The leaves are also beautiful, lacy and of a dusty green. I guess the first part of the name comes from the silky wood that is used for furniture making and in construction. Yet, why it’s called “oak” when it belongs to the grevillea genus, I don’t have the slightest idea. This tree can reach 30 meters in height, but its shocking similarity to the low grevillea plants turns it into a giant exception of the plant world. At least in my eyes, delighted to admire this unique Australian beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment