Thursday, November 15, 2012

Socially Awkward?

Ever since I moved to Melbourne I am trying to figure out if Melbournians are cold, filled with an almost royal chill, but every time I conclude that I meet someone exceptionally nice and I brush off this idea, even accusing myself of having misconceptions. The fact that I made many good friends in this city strikes me as the ultimate proof that Melbournians are actually nice. However, among them, and is not so different in other places, are some truly socially awkward individuals re-enforcing ridiculous social rules. What’s very sad is that such rules every day, and this is ran under a state government initiative. It’s extremely helpful for working parents like us and it’s not expensive. My daughter, being the only child, always loved little kids and asked for a little brother or sister. This never happened, but she plays with small kids at school and is very nice and gentle with them. They are the brothers and sisters she never had… Well, until yesterday, when the after-school teachers told my daughter and the little girl she played with for a long time, that they are not allowed to play together anymore because they have to make friends of their own age. The ridiculous rule hurt both kids and can only explain the socially awkwardness behind some of the grown-ups I have seen occasionally. Yes, I will talk with the personnel caring for the kids, but I am offended I even have to bring up the subject. The situation throws me back in time, about 100 years ago, in the Aussie or British orphanages I dread even reading about, because of the cruelty the carers imposed on small children.

No comments:

Post a Comment