Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 17 - Genève

This is how I charge my phone in Switzerland, with an adapter for Europe and one for Switzerland. Not sure why they couldn't use the same plugs as the rest of Europe, but my argument takes me back to the idea that for some reason the Swiss must do things diferently.
Switzerland is very expensive. Period. But at least tourists checking into hotels get a free pass for public transit, which comes in very handy when otherwise a ticket valid for one hour is 3CHF in Geneva. 
We started the day swimming in Lake Lèman (aka Lake Geneva to the world), which is quite clean and warm. Entrance to the "beach" is 3CHF, and on the same beach you can also eat fish among other young people tired of seeing only banks and watch boutiques.  Horologeries.  
We met my friend Nicole who came from Paris to see us, and then went together to the United Nations.  
This was my favorite room, with a ceiling created by a Spanish artist who was inspired by the ocean waves as symbol of unity for all peoples.  
I didn't realize, but UN uses a world projection from the North Pole, so there is no argument about whether to split the Earth map across the Atlantic or the Pacific oceans. 
The tour was interesting, yet I appreciated the most the plaza in front of the UN, and the symbol of the wobbling three-legged chair is telling for the world affairs I believe. 
After more coffee, raspberry with creme Gruyere, Läderach Swiss chocolate, and a stroll in the Old Town, we waved adieu to Nicole and returned to the hotel to pack the luggage. 
We wanted to eat again those amazing berries but the main grocery store, Coop, was closed at 7:45PM.  This reminded me of the convenience we have at home, so I think I'm ready to return. We had a fantastic vacation, but now look forward to a safe return. 
I hope everyone enjoyed traveling with us!

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh when I saw your adapter!! Also with all your very interesting comments about every city. And indeed Switzerland was ( when we used to live at the border between Germany and Switzerland) and is steel expensive. I'm happy you and Chloe had a lot of fun and looking forward to see you back at home. Have a Save trip!. Fabi

    ReplyDelete