Saturday, June 16, 2012

Kookaburra

It's for a good reason that I am writing about the kookaburra today. I am celebrating a little personal achievement, that of over 1000 reads of my blog, with its 40 entries. I am happy I haven't given up and ran out of things to tell you. My other writing, of my memoir, is moving along too, and the exercise of this blog certainly helped me sit down daily and write. I am celebrating my achievement with another symbol of Australian life, the laughing kookaburra, because it is a special bird. This is the largest of the kingfisher family and yes, I love it! Just look at it's adorable hairdo, the sharp sight reflected by the round eyes, and the strength of the stout beak. The characteristic laughing of this bird in the Dandenong Ranges always makes my day. Sometimes we go to Grant's Picnic Ground in the ranges, where we feed parrots and cockatoos. At the back of the Cafe where we sit for lunch, there is a pair of kookaburras that come and eat meat "served" by the Cafe owner. I cannot stop laughing, too, when the wind blows the punk hair of this gorgeous bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment