Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Felling Like a Sea Lion Today

Two years ago we drove from Melbourne on the coast to South Australia, all the way to Kangaroo Island. A good portion of the road in Victoria is very similar to Route 1 meandering from Ventura to Carmel in California and it's called Great Ocean Road. The coast is rugged, and the road takes sharp turns up and down the cliffs overlooking water or rain forest. The coast is almost as beautiful, although less dramatic, in South Australia. Beaches are probably more inviting to bathing than surfing. Kangaroo Island is, sadly, the place where the only kangaroos I saw were roadkill. A large ferry boat crosses from the main land to the island in over one hour. I don't want to write much about the beaches, some being among the most beautiful in the world. I just became a bit spoiled by seeing too many of these beaches, dipping my feet in white sands and crystal waters like never before. I hope you all can see them one day, especially those on Kangaroo Island. But what made me think of the island and that trip is simply the fact that I am tired. Just before posting this entry I fell on the bed like the sea lion in my picture below! The sea lions spent the entire night fishing and then come back to Seal Bay to... well, sleep! They sometimes wake up and play among family members, but just seeing them in this lethargic, yet adorable, state, spread like pillows on the white-sand beach, that is a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment