Friday, July 13, 2012

Rhotic English Language

For those of you who don't know, English languages are divided in two groups based on the pronounciation of the "r" sound: rhotic and non-Rhotic. In American English, which has a rhotic accent, the sound "r" in 'car', 'star' and 'iron' is pronounced, whereas in Australian English, a non-rhotic English, this troublesome "r" is not pronounced (ca', sta', and i'on). For more entertainment, at least my entertainment and sometimes confusion, an "r" is added at words ending in "o" and "a". Examples: 'tomator', 'Europar', and even 'Rodicar'! Should I continue? How about 'idear' and 'Chinar'? I could write blog posts for another year with such words that used to sound one way when I lived in the Northern hemisphere and sound like a new language in this Sourhern hemisphere. I'll close here tonight though, with the picture of a 'dhaliar'...

No comments:

Post a Comment