Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Beetroot

Roasted beetroot was something organic delis and some health-conscious restaurants with a higher price tag used to sell when I lived in the US. In Oz, beetroot, roasted, pickled, mashed up in a dip or shredded raw in a salad, is extremely popular. Apparently, even McDonalds sometimes sells a McOz, which is a hamburger with a slice of beetroot on top. All places where I ever had an Aussie burger had it sit on beetroot and personally, I LOVE it! It's colorful, healthy and refreshing, much better than a slice of squished tomato. Scrumptious! I haven't tried the beetroot dip yet and I'm not going to try it soon, because I am not a fan of dips, but hm... who knows, maybe I should... I normally buy a can of pickled beets, chop them, mix with crumbled feta and walnuts and voila! My healthy Aussie-Greek salad is ready! I am sure half of you reading will back-up from this salad plate in disgust (crabby reaction, thus the crab in the picture!) and half would enjoy it like I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment