Thursday, August 6, 2015

Day 5 - Tennis and Storks

Two great surprises in Macin today! A small tennis club, brand new with two clay courts. After seeing so many abandoned buildings, the old apartment buildings with peeling facades, the weeds popping through all roads and destroyed sidewalks, and the large number of streets paved with uneven granite blocks, I was happy to find two clay courts in reasonable condition.  They belong to a young guy who charges quite a bit for renting them, but he also teaches the kids from the Student's Club how to play tennis.  He built them on a house lot, thus the corn in the background. 

Next to the courts, on a wooden light pole, sat a beautiful, large stork nest with a family in it.  Today's pictures are not my best, but mom and dad stork are easy to distinguish.  I used to love seeing these birds when I grew up.  They'd be the good news that winter was over when they arrived in Macin from faraway warm places.  And when they took off for good in late August or September, I knew the summer ended, too.  

To end the short blog of today, here's a dahlia from my mother's garden, and of course a hard working bee...


No comments:

Post a Comment